Tampa Apartments Across America
understands that moving can be a monumental task. Our goal is to make moving to Tampa apartments in Florida as easy as possible for you. With that in mind, we offer
this free valuable moving timeline and moving and packing tips for
Six Weeks Before the Move
- Make an inventory of all of the
items you want to move.
- Organize a Garage Sale or call
your favorite charity to clean out household items you do not want
- Get estimates from several moving
companies and select your mover. Make sure you find out the
expected form of payment from the mover.
- Start packing NOW. Start with
items that are stored in your attic or basement, that aren't used
- Contact your insurance agent to
transfer or cancel coverage.
- Check with your employer to find
out what moving expenses they will pay.
Four Weeks Before the Move
- Notify mail, magazine
subscriptions, newspaper delivery, etc. of your change in address.
- Get records of your pet's medical
history and immunizations from the veterinarian.
- Contact utility companies for
refunds of your deposit and set turn-off dates.
- Service power mowers, snowmobiles,
etc. Drain all gas/oil in motorized vehicles to prevent a fire.
- Obtain all family records and
prescriptions from your family doctors and dentist.
- Get your children's school
- Move your valuables to a safe
deposit box to prevent loss.
- Give away or arrange for
transportation of house plants (most moving companies will not
One Week Before the Move
- Transfer or close all your
checking and savings accounts.
- Have your automobile(s) serviced.
- Fill out Post Office change of
address forms and give to the postmaster.
- Empty your freezer and plan use of
- Defrost the freezer and clean
refrigerator. Use baking soda to dispel odor.
- Arrange for sufficient cash or
traveler checks to cover moving expenses.
- Separate cartons and luggage you
need for personal/family travel.
- Organize at least one room in the
house for packers and movers to work freely.
- Plan for special needs of children
- Arrange to have utilities turned
on at your new address.
- Remove valuables from the safe
deposit box before moving day so they aren't left behind.
On Moving Day
- Plan to spend the entire day at
the house. Don't leave until the movers have gone.
- Carry jewelry and valuable
documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Stay with the moving van driver to
oversee the inventory.
- Be sure to tell packers and/or
drivers about fragile or precious items.
- Take a final tour of your
apartment or home. Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be
sure they are empty.
- Approve and sign the Bill of
Lading. If possible, accompany driver to the weigh station.
- Double check with the driver to
make certain moving company records show the correct delivery
address and date of delivery. Give driver phone numbers both here
and in new community to contact you in case of a problem.
- Get complete routing information
from the driver and phone numbers where you can call the driver or
company while en route.
- Disconnect all utilities.
- Lock all the doors and windows.
- Leave all keys with apartment
manager, realtor, or neighbor.
- Let close friends and relatives
know your route, including overnight stops.
- Carry cashier checks or travelers
checks for quick available funds.
After You Arrive
- Check on service of utilities at
- Check pilot light on stove, hot
water heater and furnace.
- Have new address recorded on
driver's license, or obtain a new one.
- Register your car within 5 days
after arrival in new state, to avoid penalty.
- Register children in school.
- Obtain phone numbers for
emergencies, such as fire/police, and determine the nearest
- Register to vote.